Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Unselfish Sewing: Ottobre 5/2017

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the kind comments on my coat! I love it and with the exception of 2 days, I've worn it every day since I finished it! I get not just compliments but stares - I know they're wondering why I am wearing SUCH a bright coat! LOL!

I had to take a break after finishing the coat. I think working with the wool did a bit of a number on my hand. Last week my daughter sent me a text, "Can you make this for me?". I said sure!  It's a (basic) sweatshirt with large eyelets and wide ribbon through the eyelets. It retails for $79 at Urban Outfitters:


I'd just gotten a cut of cream/off white ponte from Fabric Mart and had her wash it up. I got home and pulled it out of the dryer and OMG! It is AMAZING. It's a viscose/nylon/lycra blend and it's thick with awesome stretch and recovery. I quietly folded THAT up and put it back in stash and pulled out this knit that I was previously hoarding. Hahahaha!

I spent a long time thinking of a pattern to use. I buy raglan patterns for her for tees/sweatshirts because of her broad shoulders. I knew it would be fine but I WANTED to use a crew neck with slightly dropped shoulder.

I was doing laundry and brought my Ottobre sweatshirt up to dry flat (it's wool double knit...yummy). Eureka! This is a crew neck with bands as finishing and has a slightly oversized fit and dropped shoulder!

I traced off a size 40 for her (with Big 4 she wears a size 10). I meant to shorten it an inch but forgot. She's tall with long limbs and a short torso.  I added 1" to the sleeves and should have added 2. I left off the front pockets by tracing the top and bottom front as one piece.

College students are hard to pin down so you get dress form pics - boo! And, on Lily who is a tad bit (haha) bigger than my daughter.


I have a large ribbon stash and she picked this one. I want to find something closer to the inspiration. If not a very narrow stripe then perhaps a gingham. I'm going to look on my next SR Harris visit.


Nothing to see in back :)  The stitching on the back is from the tag I sewed in. I used a very narrow zigzag.


I had a HECK of a time with the grommets/eyelets (what IS the difference, anyway?!)! I had 6 this size in my stash and thought - yay! Luckily, I am smart :-p I went and bought a pack of 10. I did the first 3 just fine, ruined 2, set the 4th, ruined another one, set the 5th, ruined another one and set the 6th.

That's how it goes, right!?


The aftermath! LOL!!!!

I am certain that it took more time to set the grommets than it did to trace, cut and sew (serge) the entire sweatshirt! 

I have to add, again, that this neckband piece is *perfectly* drafted. I almost always ignore neck bindings. This one works. 

If I nail the girl down, I'll get a pic! :)

Saturday night I traced off the Burda 11/2017 skirt and decided I'd go ahead and cut out the front panels. Then, what the heck, I may as well sew them... :) Today I pressed everything, tested a couple of colors for topstitching and got that done too.

The rest will have to wait until next weekend. I'm excited to get this finished!!


Lastly, I have partnered with Circuit and have a shiny new Cricut Maker!! I will have to learn it, I've never used one before, and will be sharing at least a couple of projects here. But I think I'll use it a lot! I'm looking forward to it. As a result, I am back on Instagram. Find me as dressmakingdebacles!