Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Twice as nice: Burda 7/2018 #119

When I made S8601, I really liked the view with tie sleeves but liked the tie front more and thought the two together might be overkill. But I made that in a stretch cotton poplin, which is my nemesis. IDK why that fabric exists! :-p I got rid of it. Loved the top, despised the fabric. I'd planned on making the tie sleeved version and mused about making it in a jersey. And then this Burda was released! Huzzah!


If you have the magazines and haven't yet taken the plunge, I always recommend looking at the 'sewing lesson' patterns and sewing that if it's to your liking. This pattern is featured in the July issue. Benefits are that the pattern pieces are MUCH easier to trace because they're solid, overlayed on the spaghetti lines and the instructions are more comprehensive and include pictures. It's a pretty simple pattern to make though!




I went with my normal Burda sizing and cut a hybrid 40/42. On the first (blue) version, I did a little cheater FBA directly on the fabric.

Add to ss and a small amount at cf

I forgot on the grey version and my CF rides up just a little bit. I also think it is more noticeable because this rayon/poly fabric has far less drape than the blue rayon jersey. Also per usual with me and straight-sized Burda, I added no hem allowance to the top (I did add it to the sleeves). Someone on PR commented that the top was "really short" and at ~5'1", they had to add nearly 3". Weird.

I closed up the armhole slit quite a bit. I happened to have the back piece out and lowered it 3"...then matched up the front (they won't be the same because the back sleeve is longer!) and marked the new spot on the front sleeve. Finally, I never use the pattern's neck binding as I find they are often (not always but often) too long. I measured the neckline opening and cut my binding at 80% of that. The ties are finished with facings and otherwise, it's fairly straightforward to sew!



I just love it!!! After I finished the top from 8/2018 (which also has a 2nd version! LOL!), I immediately cut out the grey one.

I added lingerie straps 
(thanks IG sewing friend! LOL!!! I called them bra strap holder thing-a-ma-bobs!)

Sleeve tie facings

And because I'm silly....
I call this 'contemplation of the dead petunia'

and 'I can't help but be nosy'

and 'Yasssssss, girl!'

Both fabric cuts are from the stash, prior purchases from Fabric Mart. The skirt is M6654 and my jeans are from LOFT.

I really needed sleeved tops in solid colors and sleeveless tops in prints. I found a beautiful chartreuse silk (weave unknown) at SR Harris in the $6 bin but didn't look at the roll. It was actually $10 and not $6...but I'd had them cut 3.5 yards based on the $6 price tag! I decided to leave it. Now I'm thinking I really should have just had them cut back to the 2 yards I NEEDED for my top -- the extra 1.5 was because it was BEAUTIFUL and really popped against my skin and would have made a lovely shell or something down the line. I may go back and get it. Blergh!

Next up is V1323 in a lovely print rayon pebble challis.

My Birkin Flares and M7547 are stalled because I always manage to start sewing pants mid-cycle and I bloat like crazy (hello fibroids and ovarian cysts!) and so I'll get back to those next week! :-p

My fall plans have been completely revamped because I saw ONE. THING. that took me in a whole different direction...isn't that how it goes?!

Until later!