Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2018

McCall's 6884

My tracking spreadsheet says I completed this in August. I have no clue...I completely lost my sewing mojo at some point and it hasn't picked up much. I am working on the trench skirt, traced it on 9/8 and it still isn't done!


I've made M6884 a handful of times and after finishing the Vogue top, I decided I needed an easy project. And, I had already decided I needed a few solid dresses that can transition into fall.

I dug into stash and pulled this emerald green jersey that I bought 2 years ago from Fabric Mart. I was going to make V8904 again but realized the fabric was pretty hefty for a jersey and that would make it a poor fit for that pattern. I was going to make M6886 because I've wanted to try that one with the neckline converted to a bateau and I was going to go for it. I'm not sure what made me decide on M6884 instead but I'm glad I did!

This dress is very fitted but the skirt wrap stays closed and for *me*, it's not too much cleavage. Ymmv! The ties are a bit too short and I always lengthen them just based on how much fabric I have so not a specific length.

Something I noticed immediately after finishing this one? The armhole is far too low. This, again, is an issue with patterns that offer a sleeveless AND sleeved view using the same pieces. They can't both work. The armhole needs to be raised for the sleeve version. So that bugs me a little...but it's also funny how your natural senses about fitting starts to develop as time goes on.


My pattern is cut with a size 14 at the neckline and shoulder, 16 for the rest. I did a 3/4" full bicep adjustment. I'd basted the side seams at 3/8" and ended up sewing them at 5/8". I left a raw hem. I forgot that I found this view a bit short. The back length is too long as well, but it doesn't bother me enough to add a CB seam. The belt pulls it in just fine.


I just love this color!! However, even though it's a jersey (vs a ponte), it's still a tad bit too warm for right now. Will be perfect for fall and will be a nice bright spot come winter.

Lastly, the fronts are doubled but the back isn't. I have on these lightweight smoothing shorts and they're really comfy and ensures no body parts potentially show through :-p In the winter, I'd likely wear one of my slips for warmth, smoothing and easy wear against tights.

The trench skirt is really coming along! The waistband facing needs some hand stitching and an interior snap, the belt carriers need to be sewn on, and it needs to be hemmed. I really love the length as is so I'll be making some bias strips to face the hem.

I hope to finish that and the Ottobre cardigan this month.