Pages

Friday, August 11, 2017

A Girl Can Dream...

My hand is doing SO much better. Still splinted (but I switch to my arthritis or CT brace at night as needed). I can do something weird here and there that causes me to be near tears...but I'm not swollen and it doesn't hurt constantly. Progress!

And THANK YOU to everyone for the comments and book suggestions. Somehow I never told myself to use this time to study for my certification. So that's what I've been doing.

Last weekend we had our monthly MinneSEWta meetup and visited the smaller SR Harris location. And I obviously lost my mind :-p I spent more than I intended...on just 3 cuts of fabric...but
1) I last purchased fabric on 6/28, therefore, in my mind, I was totally justified!
2) I've been having that "stash is a bit too full" feeling and decided I'd only buy *special* fabrics (and solid ponte. I am low.)
3) All 3 cuts are 100% of their respective fiber (silk/cotton/wool) which can be a bit more spendy.


This location has a stunning collection of silks right up front and I zeroed in on this charmeuse that is a beautiful color and quite matte with a very slight texture. At $12.50 a yard, I only sprang for 2 yards and then proceeded to scour the pattern collection (including all the Burdas!) for a pattern. I was decided but am still on the fence.

I am leaning heavily toward the In-House Belle...
...sewn previously:

Because I can only imagine how much I'd love that blouse in teal silk considering how much I loved it in a crazy printed cotton voile! :)

But I also like V9204
and B6488
But I don't own either of them...AND I've made the Belle twice so...we shall see!!
I totally salivated over M7627 when it was released and bought it immediately.

And while at SRH decided a soft, striped shirting would be perfect! This top requires 4 yards of fabric! The sleeve is one massive piece, and the "ruffles" are made using tucks. By comparison, this view requires 2 3/4 yards


Then, as I am wont to do, I was browsing the LOFT website and saw this:

Well then! :) My vision is on track! LOL! I actually like the McCall sleeve more and love the peplum. (you will have to pry peplum tops from my cold, lifeless body. Give me the illusion of more hips any day!)

So, I had checked out and was waiting on others as we were going to lunch afterwards. And BEHOLD! (hahaha!) I spotted a red-orange wool fleece bolt in a bin. It called my name...I heard it! It was so soft, and such a rich not-too-red-but-still-quite-vibrant  shade and as it called out my name, I was reminded that I needed 3.5 yards of fabric for the red coat from the August Burda and that I had been looking online for a month for options for it. AND, it was only $12.50/yd. WIN.


And while there were only 3 1/4 yards available, 1) Burda runs long for me and I rarely add hem allowances to unlined items 2) the fabric is 65" wide, I'm sure I'll be fine.

I think I may be okay with escaping shiny new for now...and focusing on getting one of these done...

From the recent Vogue release I really only cared for the Lia Lia coat (1562) and the Betzina rain jacket (1564) but neither of those are really appropriate for me to sew for now. Those would be moreso for spring. Whatever that is. I heard it's a season that some people have!

I also liked the surplice, belted Rachel Comey (1556) on top but am not a fan of the pleated skirt with that bodice.

Simplicity's release certainly captured my eye more, and here are my faves:



I may bump the Clare coat for the coat in the upper left. It has fantastic details!!! The raglan sleeved coat is again, more of a fall/spring piece for MN so maybe another time. The Ashley Nell Tipton coat is plus sized so not really an option (no, I don't want to try to grade it down to fit my size 14 shoulders). The wrap top is a cute layering piece! I really like the skirt in the Mimi G pattern and could see making it but don't know that I could see it in my wardrobe. It's interesting though!!