Eek! I fell for this one right away and decided I had to have it when I booked the Disney vacation. Right away, I also knew I'd be using this fabric. It's a precut piece from Fabric Mart. I had 2 yards and would be cutting it close.
I ended up having to cut on the crossgrain to get the pieces to fit. I also didn't have any option to try to match the motif at the side seams. I cut a size Medium and made no fit adjustments. I had to change some things about construction as this poly crepe is extremely spongey and takes a lot of work to press.
The ties on the sleeve are supposed to be folded in fourths (press a center line, press each side to the center, fold the entire thing in half and topstitch). Nope. I ended up just sewing a tube and turning it. I used a 3/8" seam so it wouldn't turn out too narrow. It's slightly wider than intended, but that's okay. I also left off the pockets.
The cold-shoulder was serged, double-turned and topstitched. The sleeve hem was serged and turned up just once and topstitched.
The front placket was to have seam allowances pressed in place before attaching but I couldn't do that. I attached it to the front and then worked it out! I had my front looking pretty good but then realize I didn't fully catch the under placket. I had to rip it out, which the crepe didn't like, and now I have a bit of a fold there. I think with the print and a necklace, it's fiiiiine.
That spot where the print is lightened? That's from me unpicking.
I have fairly narrow shoulders so the neckline doesn't sit open enough to show the split neck on me.
The bias neck binding is attached and then the front placket encases it.
Double turned hem
Lastly, the dress has a faced hem. It's a nice detail with the shaped hem but I decided to leave it. Before I hemmed it I was not happy about the length. It felt very nightgown-ish. But then I hemmed it and it's okay!! It could be a *tiny* bit shorter but I like it. I could do with a slash and spread on the back for the bum. Another 1-2" right at the butt would be perfect.
I want to make the longer view too and could see making the others as well! I predict this pattern will definitely get some mileage this spring and summer!