Saturday, June 25, 2022

Sewing for Little Ones

When I visited Atlanta earlier this year I went to Fine Fabrics and my 6 year old nephew (technically great-nephew) picked out this BRIGHT lime green ribbed knit and asked me to make him a short set. He wanted a tee with a dinosaur on the front with a crown, and his name on the back. His twin sister also asked for a short set but she didn't have any specifics.

I settled on my Ottobre kids magazines for the patterns. For his, I used 3/2010 patterns 17 and 18. For the shorts, I left off the slash pockets and the faux-fly. Too much fussing in a ribbed knit (I could see it in a sweatshirt fleece though). I did some googling on Ottobre sizing and looking for general measurements for kids clothes and decided on size 116. I ended up cutting the shorts about 2.5" shorter (they were super long!) and I missed that the t-shirt sleeves are finished with bands until I got to the end and had a "hey, what's this piece for?" moment :)

I bought some printable HTV a long time ago but have been afraid to try to use it. It was easy as pie! I just used a Cricut image, printed it onto the HTV and pressed it on. The crown is also a Cricut image with gold HTV. 

For his name, I wanted to use white. I don't know why I keep trying to make fetch happen with this Cricut vinyl. It is trash compared to Siser! It was so difficult to press it, it was lifting while I tried to press it. I was 2 seconds away from ditching it and just cutting another back out. 

I used a spool of regular thread in the looper, in green, and gray thread in the needles and did a reverse coverstitch for the hems. 

For her, I used the 3/2014 issue, patterns 12 and 25. For the top,  I cut a size 110. She's a little smaller than her brother. I used a white cotton knit for the bands and did a twin needle stitch for the hem. 

I took a Cricut image that said "Basketball King" and edited it to remove the letters. She LOVES basketball, so I'm sure she's going to love it. Also, it isn't exactly true that she had no specifications -- she expressly said she did not want her name on it! :)

For the shorts, I could not figure out the bound leg openings! Oy! lol!!! Once it clicked, I realized I had to do a bunch of unpicking and it took me a couple days to get back to it. I used the same white cotton knit and cut the strips at 2" so I could use my larger bias tape maker. It worked out really well. Just recently I saw a RTW short and I think I was supposed to stitch the tape down to the back short piece?? IDK, they're cute. LOL! 

For his, I threaded the elastic through the casing but for hers I stitched it to the wrong side of the waistband/facing (like with yoga pants). I like this finish better and it works well with this narrower waistband. 

I can't wait to see them in their new outfits! I also bought them some new books and a set of walkie-talkies! That was something my kids absolutely LOVED when they were little. They are 17 months apart and were inseparable. I assume the twins will love running around with their walkies :)

I'm working on a sleeveless version of M7834 in a white cotton swiss dot for my birthday dress. Lots to do - buttonholes, miles of gathering and hemming...

I also plan to make Burda 7/2022 #106 for the evening. 

Sunday, June 19, 2022

May Wrap-Up and June Plans

I am so late with this, gah. In May I sewed 6 garments for a total of 9.25 yards. This month I sewed:

  • Vogue 1250 top and dress - 2.5 yards 
    • ITY print
    • elastic in the dress
  • McCall's 8174 dress - 1.75 yards
    • rayon modal jersey knit print
    • elastic
  • McCall's 6744 dress - 2 yards
    • ITY print
    • elastic
  • Butterick 6378 top - 1.5 yards
    • yellow silk georgette
  • Burda Magazine 4/2019 skirt - 1.5 yards
    • red cotton lycra twill
    • zipper, D-ring

I am really happy with all 3 of my dresses! I ended up cutting the top too short, so I have to see if it's wearable or not at this length. But I will certainly keep this pattern 'hack' in the roundup. I love the cowl. 

The red skirt is really great! It turned out so well with my mods to increase the size. But the twill is really stretchy with poor recovery. I wore it for the first time and it bagged out a bit. Clothes never last as long when they need to be washed each time.

I didn't get a chance to work on a project for my fitting challenge but will try to get one in for June. I'm having a tough time personally, and lots of required travel coming up, so I may only get 6 or 8 done this year. We'll see.

June started out with my awesome vacation to Cabo with friends! I didn't sew anything for the trip but wore a few handmades while I was there, but I'd purchased a few hot-girl 'fits for the trip! 

I purchased the white top while I was in Cabo. It is a really nice cotton gauze!

Since we're halfway through June, I may use a Burda just because I think that's a lower barrier to a good fit :) There is a dress from 5/2019 that I traced awhile back, so I'm ahead of the game there.

I've also made outfits for my twin niece and nephew with fabric they chose from Fine Fabrics in GA. I'll review those next, I used patterns from Ottobre Kids. 

I still need to photograph my red skirt, and M8174. I also feel like a need a white cotton dress. I'm thinking of making a sleeveless version of M7834 (blogged HERE). It's such a great pattern and I got a really nice fit! 

More, later! :)