Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Burda 7/2017 #115: The Start of Stripe-mania


 So, I love the way this turned out!

I wanted to sew this top last year as my July Burda Challenge project. I have thought about it on and off and have gone back and forth on what fabric to use. And then Emily Hallman posted an in-progress jacket on Instagram with a wide stripe and I loved it!

And then about 10 days later there was a sale at FM and they had this Michael Miller cotton shirting with a 2" even stripe. WIN! 

I knew I wanted to do the front and back with chevron/bias cut stripes and it only made sense to do the lower front and back with horizontal. Only the sleeves are cut on grain! :) And then I purposely cut the sleeve bands with the hint of black but I should have put that on the folded edge. No matter - it works!


Burda's drafting is so consistent and for the most part, what you see is what you get. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that before. So oversized/boxy top made me wonder how my normal size would fit. Often, when something fits very loosely I sew a straight size 40. I had time to kill and wanted to get this right and I GASP! sewed a muslin. 

I really liked the fit and decided I wanted to add a CB seam and close up those side splits. 


I love this side view!

The pattern calls for the sides to be completely open and then hand-stitch the first 3/8" and well...you can see I didn't do that! :) 

I also shaped it through the waist a little. I sewed the sleeves in flat and sewed the side seam tapering in an additional 3/8" at the waist (so taking it 1.5" total). I also did a 1/2" pivot and slide bust adjustment. I didn't want to add any darts or gathers or pleats or anything to disrupt the front lines.

I had 1" petersham in white and 2" in black and the pattern calls for 1.5". Of course!! I went with the 2". If you look closely, you'll see that the front chevrons look off just a slight amount. This is due to the extra 1/2" being covered on the right side. 

Who cares? Not I!


Also, don't look too closely at my sew-in snaps. My hand has regressed and feels as badly as it did like 2 months after the incident. I'm going to the orthopedic surgeon again after the Sew Camp.


The fabric is a tad bit stiff for the style but I don't care. I wanted those wide stripes and I will live with it.

 It has a slight (non-obnoxious) hi-low hem happening and I really like it.
 It's a bold, statement top but I'm into those for casual / weekend wear. I tried this on with everything in my closet I thought might work! LOL! And can't wait to pull the spring/summer clothes out.

I was really surprised that I also liked it with a wider leg pant. I meant to get photos of that outfit -- next time.

Until Later!!




23 comments:

The Sewing CPA said...

So sorry to hear about your hand; very frustrating. I pray that it gets better soon.

I'm in love with this top!! You did such an amazing job. If you hadn't mentioned the chevrons being off I would've never noticed. It looks so beautiful with those jeans and suits you perfectly.

Karey said...

Your interpretation of this top is much better than the Burda version, which I had not given a second look till I saw yours. I think the shevron gives it a nice illusion of waist shaping.

JuliaRu said...

really terrific!!

Catherine said...

What a fun top! It looks adorable on you! I didn't even notice the chevron being slightly off up close because from a distance, the eye completes the match.

Ann Brodsky said...

This is so cute! Nice work on the stripes! I'm sorry to hear about your hand- I hope that the doctors can figure it out and fix it for you.

Mary Sarah said...

You look great in your new top! Love it!!

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

looks so crisp and ready for spring. There's something about navy blue and white that says that to me. Very cute.

Vanessa said...

Ok, I love everything about your top!!! It looks so GOOD! The wide stripes are perfect, and I think you pull the look off well.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!!!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Beth!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks so much. Gosh, I'm so over it. Will insist on some imaging this time around though.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! And YES! I realized it and shrugged. It's fiiiine :)

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks!! I am so glad I wasn't deterred by their pics. Burda is so weird sometimes with fabric choices and photography!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you so much!!

So, I read someone on another site say that "no one over 23 should wear jeans with rips." 23!! LOL!!!!!!!! Crazy people.

TheTellTaleTasha said...

I love the bold look of this top! Especially the front view where you can see all of the different directions at once

Linda L said...

Love it!!!

Doctor T Designs said...

Simply fabulous! Bold, but not crazy. It looks so good on you!

Sarah Liz said...

This is a great look for you - you can wear the high contrast colours and dramatic styles. Love your stripe play. On the downside, sorry to hear about your hand. So frustrating.

AllisonC said...

Love the drama of this, I had to go and look up the pattern because I didn't remember it at all and now I can see that it is a really versatile pattern that can look completely different in different fabrics. Great job!

Myra said...

Wow! I agree, it is very dramatic and unique! It almost looks like a jacket from behind! Beautiful work!

Silk Fabric Online said...

Another beautiful dress! Your gathers are so perfect.

Stripe Fashion Fabric
Multicolor Striped Fabric