Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Style Arc Mindi Skirt...Terrible Photos and All...

I don't know what the heck is going to happen this winter with pics. I'm thinking about buying one of those clip-on ring lights. We'll see. I have a few finished items that are unblogged. I'm off work until Monday so hopefully I can get all the photos done and get the posts up over time. Bleh!!

I have had this pattern since 2015. I planned to make it immediately but had a heck of a time assembling a different pattern PDF that I bought in the same order and had temporarily given up on Style Arc.  

But I had the zippers! And I have no clue what fabric I initially planned to use but I decided this black cotton twill would be perfect. 

I got this from Mood this year with a plan to make overalls. I later decided this skirt and a pair of slim pants (at some point) from the yardage.

I cut a size 14 after taking flat pattern measurements and sewed the back princess seams at 1/2". The waistband is one piece so I basted once the front and back were assembled but I hate having to do that because it's hard to know where the skirt is supposed to sit without the waistband attached! And the waistband is slightly too loose. Wah.

Like a lot of people, I was annoyed with their illustration of an exposed zipper. It is not an exposed zipper. The way they have you construct it, it's like a centered zip. 

Like a lot of people :), I combined the upper and lower pocket into one pattern piece and created a window to sew the zipper in. I much prefer this way.

I washed this fabric before sewing and I used the good interfacing...but I decided I wanted to wear it on Halloween (yes, it's been done that long - I've worn it a couple times!) and rushed to topstitch the waistband. And it got twisted a bit (I didn't switch to my walking foot because I did this in like, 10 minutes before work that day!!).

Oh. Em. Gee.
I usually use doubled thread for topstitching and have read where many use a triple stitch. I did that here. I will never do that again. LOL!!! With all the seams I got super bored and was whining the entire time.

I do plan to topstitch the zipper - just didn't get around to it!

I ordered zippers from ZipIt on Easy. I've used them several times when I've wanted more interesting zips (NAYY). I had everything cut out and ready to sew when I realized that zipper was quite a bit shorter. The pattern calls for a 19" zipper and mine was 18".  Which was fine because I preferred the shorter length.

At that point though, I had no choice but to shorten it at the hem - I think it's fine. WHEW.

I like it but am confused by the slight A-line. I thought it was a straight skirt but it flares just a bit. I don't dislike it, it was just a bit different from what I was expecting.

I made another black skirt which will be photographed and reviewed soon! Butterick 6464 in Telio Jockey <3 ponte.

I made a lightweight sweater from Vogue 8597 that I a.d.o.r.e.

And I just finished up a lightweight mock neck from McCall's 6796.

That makes me 5 items into my plan! (6 technically because I found a plaid blazer that I will sub for the one I considered sewing). Next up is the Simplicity version of the Toaster Sweater and then a pair of pants from Burda 10/2014.

THANK YOU everyone for your comments on the last post! As usual, I try to respond but things got busy. 

If you're celebrating - have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! If not, enjoy the time off :)