I have been MIA. I have some sort of anxiety-induced insomnia or insomnia-induced anxiety. Either way - JOY! :sarcasm:
I haven't sewn much but I did get some time in. I am now unsure if I'll finish the contest. Not good (for me) that I've only done 2 items in the first two weeks. I have a few weekends where I know I won't be able to sew (yes, a FEW. WHEW!). Oh well, I am happy with my plan and they're all things I plan to add anyway so I'll keep chugging along. We'll see how I fare around this time next month.
First up was M6702. I made this pattern once before. Well kinda. I had cut it out from a red/white/blue burnout cotton voile with plans for a cute Independence Day outfit. Burnout fabric + iron = bad mix. Burned a hole right through the back. Have been meaning to revisit it ever since. It is now OOP so if you have it and are looking for cute summer tops - try it!
I had a size 14 cut out and it is quite the roomy top. I do need an FBA though and would add an inch should I make this again. Plus, I know how easy it is to rotate a bust dart into shoulder gathers now - YAY! I did a slash and spread for more butt room but made no other adjustments.
I really like this hi-low hem.
I LOVE the back cut out. The round portion is finished with bias tape (I used premade here) and then the upper is a double yoke which I finished with the burrito method. So clean. So perfect. Swoon...
I adore the collar too. It is slightly rounded giving it a feminine vibe but not overly sweet. The collar and collar bands plus placket all went together fabulously. Helped I'm sure by this amazing cotton sateen. It was Sue's Pick one day on FM and I bit on it. Not realizing it was only 45" or so, I had to go sleeveless and this was a great fit.
The placket finishing directions MADE PERFECT SENSE! GASP! haha. I decided on these non-functional buttons because 1) I had just the 2 in stash and 2) they match the topstitching thread almost exactly. #WIN
No "real" photos. I will have to take a gazillion for the contest and don't plan to do it until I can do outfit photos. Meaning, as rows of the grid are completed, I will then take individual photos of items plus outfit photos. I don't want to get to the end of March and have to photograph a dozen outfit combos. It takes a surprisingly long time!
So here is a crappy mirror selfie. I wanted to show a friend the back opening on my body.
You can also see that I need a smidge more bust room. I'm really filling it out. The back fits fine when I'm not doing acrobatics with my phone :)
Next up are my Baste + Gather Kendall Skinnies (never released pattern). The upper part is based on the Birkin Flares with the legs taken in. I'll also be making some Birkins for the contest. Woohoo! Love those jeans :-D
These need a hem and I'll just review them with the flares when they're done. Since the pattern is not available to others I don't see a need for a dedicated blog post.
Until later! Hopefully I'll be less of a zombie going forward. I've missed blog land!