Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Sewcation

Blah, blah. Broken record. I need to blog several items. It's winter in the tundra and light is scarce. But I'll be home for days and days and I plan to photograph all the things! and will blog them soon. It's important to me to blog my projects; it isn't just about blog content (especially since I don't review on PR anymore).

I use info from my past projects, even the ones that have been removed from my wardrobe, for so much! There are things that I've gone searching for only to be frustrated that I never blogged them. So even if it ends up being quickie posts that aren't super detailed or posts that combine garments, I like to get a photo of the garment on me and details about the pattern "on paper".

Today marks my annual sewcation since starting this job. We close from Christmas Eve until the day after New Year's Day and I usually bookend some additional time off. So after today, I don't return until the 2nd and I am considering taking the 2nd off and going back on the 3rd. We'll see :)

When I returned to work after the reduction surgery, the weather had changed, and I did a quick run-through to see what would work from my current wardrobe.

Well, now that things are settling, I'm realizing I have to cull a lot more than I thought. I had the realization that I just don't wear stuff that's been FBA'd :) which is, the vast majority of my tops and dresses, for obvious reasons! I was a 34F going in and am a 36C now.

Sidebar:
There was some great info in a group I'm in on why so many see a change in band size afterward. Alls I know is, I tried on a bunch of bras and the 36C felt and looked great (swoon) and so yeah...I have a 34D which would be a "sister size" (a concept I never really agreed with) and it's just...not right. I wear bralettes and wireless bras 100% of the time now but was SUPER surprised that I didn't find a wired bra uncomfortable. I'm about 3 months post-op which, many women feel okay with underwire at this point while many more happily forego it forever :) I think part of the comfort factor also depends on where the anchor scar is placed on the body (if the surgeon went that route).

Anyway! I need tops. And it's cold in the tundra so I need cozy, warm tops. Most of my previous wish list stands and I made a big list of wants, cleaned up the sewing room, pulled all the fabric and patterns, and will move through projects as I see fit.


Now, I do not believe that I am going to sew 8 tops, 2 pair of pants, 2 skirts, a hoodie and knit a headband (oh! And muslin my husband's blazer!!) in 12 days. That requires magic. I possess no magic.

What I CAN say is that my NL6644 top is just in need of sleeve hems and the Burda 2/2017 skirt is ready to cut and sew (wool tweed fabric is prepped and the pattern is adjusted).

I've made Burda 6990 turtleneck sweater, NL6418 skirt and V9210 leggings before though V9210 may need some more tweaks to the back pattern piece and NL6418 skirt will be in faux leather.

V1629 and S8948 tops will require muslins. I plan to use precious fabric for both, really want them, so I will do my best to get them right. M7982 will also, of course, require a muslin.

I can also tell you that I can't sew for long periods of time. I know, right?! I have to take a break after a bit and I hope to work on my knitting in between sewing projects. My fro cannot fit under any of my hats and it's COLD y'all!

Lastly, I will tell you that I feel like I MUST sew:
*husband's blazer muslin
*Burda 2/2017 hand-painted wool tweed skirt (swoon)
*NL6418 black faux leather skirt
*Burda 6990 sweater in a lusciously soft Halston knit
*B5526 shirt in a cotton shirting: white w/thin black stripes
*M7982 because I just WANT these pants! I'm using a dark brown suiting (used HERE)
*M7601 because...WANT! I'm using a diagonal striped poly blouseweight

And all that after whining about needing tops. And, this list might be too ambitious. But, you never know! :-D