Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Burda 1/2016 + Beginner Sewing Summit

What?! Another Burda make?! :we will pretend not to be surprised: :). I just love that, for the most part, I can trace off my size, make my adjustments, and sew! It is rare that a Burda mag pattern doesn't work out from a fit perspective (it does happen though!), hence their top spot as a fave pattern source of mine.

I made this top for my daughter actually. But then, I forgot to include it in a package I shipped to her. Boooooo! By the time they came to visit earlier this month, the weather in Long Beach had already turned too warm to get much use from it, and they have a tiiiiny apartment, so I try to only send what is asked.

This is a size 38 front and 40 back (I trace a 40 for myself at the neckine and shoulder and grade out to a 42). The design calls for a silky woven for the back but, no thank you! 

I'm not a huge fan of cotton knit, which is why I used this fabric for her! I do love the design so maybe I'll make it work in my wardrobe. 

The front has 4 diagonal pleats, the upper back has soft gathers, and then these cool sleeves. I'm not versed enough in pattern design to know what all the different elements are called so - forgive me! The sleeve is fairly square and pretty much comes down to about the waist on front and back. It wears a bit like a cut-on sleeve - you have that fold of fabric at the armhole (it has to go somewhere!) - and makes for a comfy sweatshirt. 

It has a sort of bateau neckline and the sleeve and hem are finished with bands. I kept the pattern out to make one for myself but alas... :) 

The band does ride up a bit, but that's because it's basically a size+ too small at the hip - I'll live with it. It's wearable as is, I just get poofy pleats at times. This one will definitely make a reappearance at some point.

I was working on a knock-off of a RTW top I saw - it was pink with blue and white striped statement sleeves. Super cute. I nixed it though, just wasn't feeling the sleeve once I got the first one done. Boooo. 

Not the top but similar concept:

My wool boucle skirt was finished, or so I thought. I tried it on, thought, "WHAT is up with this hem!?" and realized I didn't catch it in all areas while blind hemming by machine. I'll have to do that in the daylight :-p AND I cut another version of my B5760 in a navy lace (excited!).

My Burda 6/2018 jacket stalled (this is why I used to sew linings for jackets first!). I have the shell completed but knew I'd need to make some fitting tweaks so I held off on the lining. Now, I'm being lazy. I'll get back to it!

I pivoted and sewed a silk top from the Burda 5/2020 issue (it's gorgeous!) full review to come!! 

Lastly, I invite you all to participate in the Rebecca Page 2021 Beginner Sewing Summit taking place from Tuesday, May 3rd through Friday, May 7th. 

Over 40 classes are being offered, covering a wide range of topics, and providing 20+ hours of content.

Classes are free to attend live!

If you'd like to rewatch any sessions or if you miss a live session, you can purchase an all access pass for $59. My Link

Yes, I will receive a small commission if you purchase a pass from my link. Otherwise, there is no cost or other obligation involved to view the classes. 

There is no other compensation for instructors - we were asked if we'd like to participate and I thought it'd be a fun way to stretch myself and stay active in the community outside from the "here are 35 pictures of the thing I made with no other info about the garment, the fabric, the pattern, or the process!".  Fine - I'm being cheeky :) 

There is a schedule of classes near the end of the page HERE.

My class airs on Thursday, May 6th