Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Sewing Plan: Butterick 5526 (B5526)

I'll be sharing my new sewing space soon! But suffice to say, the paint, new floors, and reorganization really sparked my desire to make. 

I wanted a straightforward project, but not a fast project. I wanted to spend some time in the process, and decided on a button front shirt. I knew I wanted a more casual top (not too fitted) that was fairly neutral and could mix and match readily with skirts and pants in my wardrobe. 

I also decided on short sleeves. I recently thrifted a blue & white striped cotton shirt with long sleeves and I just don't really wear long sleeves in summer - even rolled up!

I wear this chambray version of Burda 7136 ALL the time. I made it in 2016 and it has only gotten better with time. 


I was going to go for the TNT (I've made this pattern 5 or 6 times) but ultimately decided to branch out. I searched my stash and decided on the oldie but goodie, Butterick 5526

Imagine my surprise to find THREE copies of this pattern in my pattern drawers! Oy! I got back ups to my back up! Haha!

I opened the first one, and huzzah! the size 14 was already cut out. I chose a thin striped cotton shirting from the stash. There was no label on it, so I don't have a source for it, but it's been in the stash for a while.

I'll be using Fashion Sewing Supply's ProSheer Elegance Light interfacing (HERE) and shirt buttons from Wawak (HERE). I swear by FSS interfacing. It's pretty much all I've used for about 5-6 years. I remember one year snagging a deal on some interfacing from Fabric Mart at $1/yard and it was VERY comparable to FSS. Aside from that, I keep going back for more, even as the price has increased a bit. 

Her interfacing is 60" wide (vs Pellon which is 20") and is preshrunk. It performs fabulously. I usually keep the Light, Medium, Couture, and Tricot on hand, in white and black. 

As I edit this for posting, I have the collar, buttonholes, and buttons left to do. Looking forward to this addition and sharing a bit more about the process. 








2 comments:

  1. I received an email from Fashion Supply in response to my order. The owner's partner/husband was killed in an accident. She encouraged me to post this news to our sewing family. Take a moment to offer her our support. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of making another shirt too! I am also taking pictures of the sewing as I go along; it's been a while since I shared in-progress steps. I look forward to reading about your process in sewing B5526.

    Oh and I also love FSS interfacing; it's all I use in shirts. I have the Shirt Crisp regular and light and also the Pro-Sheer Elegance Light. Though prices have gone up, the interfacing is good quality.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated! I will always respond to questions and try to respond to each and every comment!

I have been getting a lot more spam comments so I am turning on CAPTCHA for now.