Pages

Monday, September 9, 2024

Sewing Plan: Style Arc Monty Shirt and Burda 7/2017 Shorts

That's a mouthful of a title! But using the full pattern name makes things more searchable in the google :)

If you've been following my sewing adventures of the NL6692 dress (Plan here) on IG, you'll know that I officially HATE sewing this pattern! There are some annoying aspects of the pattern, combined with the shifty rayon challis, and it just hasn't been an enjoyable experience. However, it looks cute on, so I persevere!

I got a stash influx from a knitting friend (almost all natural fibers) and I immediately pulled out a few pieces of fabric to sew. 

A silky cotton woven, a linen (enough for shorts), and a cotton and/or linen(?) double gauze (?)

We had a high of like 65 on Saturday, so fall is on the way! But, I also know it will for sure warm up again, so I decided to go for it and make another summer addition to the wardrobe. 

I wanted to make a 2-piece set and settled on this short pattern from the Burda 7/2017 issue right away. I will probably exclude the trim that's sewn to the side seams and serve as a sort of tab. I definitely plan to include the cording with beads though! Very cute!!


In my very humble opinion, the Russian site is the best organized for viewing magazine issues and line drawings. 

This is a direct link to search by year and month, and view the full photos for each issue: Russian site by year
But THIS link...far more helpful!! Tech Drawings by year

This links to all of the at-a-glance sheets of the tech drawings from 2022 with links to each year back to 2014. I stopped subscribing after 2022 so I don't have the link for 2023, but I'm sure it's there. 

It took me awhile to decide on a shirt but I knew I wanted a loose fitting, somewhat boxy, button-front top and :lightbulb:! I remembered I had the Style Arc Monty.

Style Arc, like Burda is one of those pattern companies that just works for me. From their site, "Style Arc patterns are drafted for a B bust cup size and a height of 167cm (5'6")."

Personally, I think they draft for a slightly narrower shoulder too. Now, I get fussy about their instructions (I've found a mistake or two), but the draft works and their designs are always fresh.


I'll be using Fashion Sewing Supply's Tricot knit interfacing in white, and buttons I bought from M&J (who is going out of business!!!) on my 2018 trip to NYC. I also have beads in my stash from a Fabric Mart order some time ago. 



5 comments:

Karey said...

Wanted to look for the shorts pattern but long as your heading is, essential information is missing. Its impossible to Google search a Burda magazine pattern without the pattern # as well as magazine edition (mth/year).

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

You can navigate (and I even included the links!) to the issue and find the number if needed.

Thank you!

Karey said...

So much easier to find with pattern number. I do Google image search: Burda 07/2017 #103
It's an incomplete reference without the pattern number. I use the UA site now, as I am blocked from purchasing RU patterns.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

I'm glad you were able to find it.

My blog is not monetized and I am not a content creator...just a hobbyist. So I am not going to always meet folks' expectations of what they think should appear here.

K said...

Those 3 fabrics look luxe and would look great as summer garments. It took me many years to figure out that sewing for upcoming seasons is really the way to go, especially since time seems to fly by with each passing year...
Also wanted to mention that the dress from the last post looks great on you. It may have been a slog but the end result is one of a kind.