Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Pattern Repeat: McCall's 6886

Still no sewing :( It's been 20 days. Unreal! My hand has improved quite a bit --I'd say I'm 75%-- but is nowhere near healed. I don't know what's normal for a hand sprain; most everything I find is about wrists or fingers specifically. I may follow up next week if I'm  still unable to perform normal day-to-day tasks!

So I'm sharing the 8,132nd McCall's 6886 that I made and wore to the Twins game on my birthday! LOL!

I've made this so many times already that I knew it would be super quick. Even with stripe matching it took maybe 90 minutes and I made it the night before.

I have this cut out in a size 14 neck/shoulders, 16 bust/waist and 18 hip. This time, I used the longest view. The fabric is an amazing jersey from the precuts that were at FabricMart this year. I wish I would have bought one of everything because I love every single cut I've sewn thus far!

I don't want to belabor the point on stripe-matching; there's a gazillion tutorials and tips/tricks out there.

 
I use notches and the l/s lines to line things up.

 
Have to be extra careful when cutting on the fold that things are straight.

 
And since I typically use the serger to construct jersey knits, I check that everything is good to go.
I got it right on the first try here - very rare! :)
 
 
 
Not too shabby!



I've NEVER bothered much with trying to line up sleeves. This time I did and did okay. I did realize something though...

When I participated in the FabricMart challenge, we caught some flack week 1 for our "horrible sleeves" on our Grainline Scout tops. 1) I think that pattern sucks. I tossed it after the contest. 2) The criticism came because the blogger assumed we were chosen to compete because we were supposed "experts" or something. Nope, it was all in good fun! But from that, I did gain something! She'd mentioned that many sleeves don't have enough height in the cap. I'd not given it a ton of thought until more recently, and then worked hard to match this sleeve and finally got it.

If there was another inch in the cap height, the striped would match all the way. The stripes on the sleeve would be perfectly horizontal as well vs. slanting upward. Not a huge deal for casual wear...but I am curious to test it out. I have enough of this fabric for a t-shirt and will use my TNT M6964. Not sure when...but it's a plan.

 
This pattern calls for a turn and stitch neckline but I've never finished it that way.
I measured the length of the opening on this scoop version and then depending on the stretch in my fabric, lengthen or shorten as appropriate. I cut the strip at 2 1/2" which gives me a ~5/8" binding.
 
at the game!
 
I didn't get any type of decent photo but again...I've made this pattern so many times before!
 
I love the fit of this pattern! I'd better buy a back-up copy at the next sale.
 
I've also bought a little RTW that makes my heart sing! I was going to a concert last minute and wanted something cute to wear. Surprisingly, I saw NO jumpsuits out 'in the wild'. Lots of rompers still...and ALL the cold shoulder / dramatic sleeves. The cold shoulder ain't leaving anytime soon.

I wanted to try this top on but my big a$$ head could not fit through this opening.
supremely amusing!

But this top was a winner! AND it's a bodysuit so extra, extra points.


So Simplicity 8385 will definitely happen before summer is out. I was unsure about the style on me but obviously, I can rock it!

Back in April I was looking for overalls and finding nothing. I tried to leave these in the store but I just love every single tiny detail about them so they had to come home with me and be my pretty!!!! I wore them on Sunday and just did not want to take them off!

No, I'm not wearing a shirt - sorry (not really).
Which is why there are no photos of the back! LOL!

The leg has a boyfriend cut which I love. I went down a size because I didn't want saggy diaper butt. So they are fitted through the waist and hip and more relaxed through the leg. Adore!! (so I don't say again that I love them!).

I feel sad (on the inside!) that I can't sew right now. Sigh. Hopefully August is productive. I want things!!

28 comments:

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

sorry to hear about your hand being so slow to heal - that is really aggravating on so many levels. And that issue with the cap height - I see that issue with a lot of garments on line, it's one of those adjustments that is a little out of the ordinary - everyone looks at bust, waist,hip etc but the sleeve/armhole adjustments start to get into tricky territory. You look so cute in that bodysuit with the shoulder ruffle!

Meg said...

Ug, that must be so frustrating to not be able to sew. I hope your hand's recovery speeds up soon!

Robin said...

I've heard about that sleeve cap issue on another blog. Don't remember which blog though. If you test it out, please post. Sorry to hear about your hand--I know that can be frustrating with sewing lists swirling in your head. Love the striped maxi. RTW would never be as meticulous in matching those stripes. I think it's a pet-peeve of most sewists (me included).

Vanessa said...

Repeat patterns are awesome, and that includes yours! I love the ruffle top on you too.

Pauline said...

You have disappeared from IG and I hardly post on PR so I was wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear about your hand! Hope it heals soon! This M6886 pattern is a winner! I am also intrigued by your input on the sleeve cap height. I almost always remove an inch from the cap height on all my knit patterns, otherwise it's it fits weird on me.

Linda L said...

I hate that you cannot sew! Sorry that the healing takes so long with a sprain. That green top with the neckband, I want one of those. I love to watch Real Housewives of New York. One of the woman has that top or similar and I love the neckband thing at the neck. May I ask where you saw this? I know that I don't live anywhere near you but maybe I can find it online. Look forward to seeing your next garments in August when your hand is better!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Hey Linda! I saw it at Macy's!!
Thank you! Hopefully I'm healed soon.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Hey! I'm still here! :)

I can't wait to test the theory.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you Vanessa!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Robin!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

It's driving me insane! Thanks Meg!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Beth!

I really want to start to tackle the whole sleeve thing. All I ever do for now is bicep adjustments but I see other issues sometimes too. Especially in jackets.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sorry you can't sew. I know what a drag that is...but you look really happy in these pics so that's a good thing. Hope the hand heals soon!

Anonymous said...

I think your cranky commenter was wrong about sleeve cap height.

A tall sleeve cap is good for a tailored sleeve; you won't get much movement. A shallower, wider sleeve cap works for casual clothes as it allows a wider range of movement. Neither one are better or worse or more correct than the other. It just depends on if you want a sleeve that looks nice and smooth when your arm is at your side (tailored) but doesn't allow for much movement, or a sleeve that you can move your arm around in a lot but won't look nice and smooth. Ikatbag did a whole bunch of posts about this a few years ago. Let me see if I can find it...

Here! http://www.ikatbag.com/2014/03/subtelties-in-drafting-sleeves.html

(This is Andrea @ zoopolis by the way. Why does blogspot like to call me blog1?)

Yaffle said...

Hello! I am a big fan of your blog and I was wondering how you were doing. I hope your hand feels better soon, it must be so frustrating!

Carol said...

That hand has got you buying RTW! Houston, we have a problem!! I have NEVER made the 6886. I have it. Guess I better get it out! Feel better soon the stores can't handle us!

Tomasa said...

OMG - I just made a T-shirt using a grey and navy striped fabric that looks just like yours! I even did the neckband the same way! Hope your hand heals soon...

The Sewing CPA said...

Sorry your hand is taking so long. I pray that you heal soon and get back to sewing. The bodysuit top is too too gorgeous and looks amazing on you. I love the dress - great job with matching the stripes.

Claire S. said...

Wow, I've missed seeing your posts! Happened on a link to your new blog earlier today and immediately updated my blogroll. Now to catch up. I hope your hand heals up soon, I'm in the same boat dealing with pinched nerves in my neck so you have my full sympathy.

Kathy {Kathy Sews} said...

So I officially lost track of your blog once you switched some months back. Holy freaking cow, I need to catch up reading. Mostly I got busy in life and my sewing escapades slowed down dramatically & haven't blogged in foreversss. Are you on Instagram anymore? Off to stalk your blog and sewing fun :)

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Not on IG anymore and miss seeing your stuff!! Understand that life can slow us way down. But sewing is like riding a bike luckily! :)

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you and welcome back! :)

Hopefully you recover soon as well!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you so much!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

TWINSIES!!

Thanks Tomasa!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

You have to make it!!!

I do make a ton of stuff but I totally never stopped shopping! Much, much less...but totally still shop.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! Yes, indeed. Super frustrating.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Because blogger is horrible!! lol!

I've seen that page many times. I don't disagree, but I still think she was on to something. Ikat bag address sleeve shape, cap width, the amount of ease in the cap...doesn't say a knit can't/shouldn't(??) have additional height. It won't be as sharp as a set-in sleeve. And even though additional height will give you a bit more "cap length" over the shape of the sleeve, I can totally see it with the stripe; the difference it would make.

https://fitforaqueen.wordpress.com/2014/09/12/sleeve-cap-flap/

She's kind of snippy (lol!) but I am definitely willing to give it a shot.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you Carolyn!!