Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2020

September Wrap-up and October Plans

 Another quiet month on the sewing front. But let's start with the MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!

I headed to California the morning of the 15th. We hung out that afternoon and on Wednesday, my daughter, son-in-law and me walked down to the beach. Thursday morning, she mentioned not sleeping well that night and I said, today is the day! They didn't believe me...but I told them! I had been telling her to pack a bag and finally, around 10 a.m. she did. By 11 a.m., she was having contractions 7 minutes apart and by noon, she was ready to head to the hospital. She was 6cm dilated and within a couple hours had hit 10. Grandson was born on Thursday the 17th at 3:25 p.m. My SIL called me on Face-Time and luckily, I got to witness the birth! Watching a baby come into the world is truly a magical thing!!

And because I am CERTAIN that he waited for me to get there, I was able to spend the first 11 days of his life with him! I snuggled that sweet boy every moment I could!

Her labor story SO mirrored mine with her! I spent the evening with varying levels of back pain and when I finally told my mom I was ready to go in, I apparently was already 9 cm. dilated! I got to the hospital at about 11 p.m. and she was born 3.5 hours later. 

I made a new tee with the Cricut for my plane ride there so I could proudly let any and everyone know! 


So this month was productive in a different way! :)

I did sew a few tops for my daughter for nursing. I plan to make a few nursing camis for her since she wears lots of button front shirts anyway (flannels) in fall. 

I made 2 versions of S1916. I used a size 12 and shortened the sleeves. The only other mod I made was that I didn't use the included pattern piece for the neckline facing and just cut a strip an appropriate width.



I also sewed up a version of Burda 11/2007 #121. It's pretty "booby" LOL! I missed the fact that the model was wearing a tank underneath. But it's fine for these early weeks where you're just at home trying to survive the lack of sleep.

I cut a size 38, eliminated the facing in place of a "faced band", and used cuffs instead of hemming. 


I love this front detail!!

So that's 3 items for a total of 4.5 yards this month, all fabric from stash. 

October? 
Sigh. Whine, whine, no real reason to sew new fall clothes, whine. 

I'll likely sew those camis I mentioned for my daughter.

I've coveted this sweatshirt from the 5/2018 Ottobre issue for 2 years. I think it's about time to sew it! 

I was *this* close to finishing my blue blazer before I left. So I'll finish that. I'd love to sew the blazer from the 2/2020 Burda:

And, since Covid doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and I'm terrified of what's going to happen once we're deep into cold and flu season, we are still being hermits. I want to sew my husband's corduroy jacket but I know it won't actually be worn if we're not going out for dinner and such. He's in IT and definitely wouldn't wear it to work. I should definitely muslin the Fulford jeans for him though! He has a tough time buying jeans. Also, I LOVE sewing jeans but 1)I really don't wear them very often and 2)I don't need any. If I can make this pattern work for him, I can sew a couple pair and get my fix! :-D

Are you sewing for this fall season (or spring if you're down under!)? Is Covid affecting your sewing plans?