Pages

Monday, January 4, 2021

2021 Goals and Plans

For whatever reason, I can't get myself to commit to an actual "Make 9" plan but last year, I liked my little box o' 9 goals (even though I only achieved 1.5 of them) and when I wrote out my main plans for this year, it was 9 things! Hmm. I still won't call it a Make 9 plan because it isn't 9 garments, it's moreso 9 goals (again!).
  • I guess I don't need a trench coat but my old is dead and I really, really want one. I have the fabric, lining, and notions for it already!
  • I have accepted that I just love toppers. Cardigans, blazers, other jackets...and since I'm not having to like, store garments in the linen closet or anything...I won't beat myself up over having "too many". So I have 2 for SURE that I want to make. Burda 2/2020 (in a red/white herringbone wool suiting) and 6/2019 (in an irregular striped cotton boucle)


  • I thought I wanted to make bras then was quickly disillusioned by the expense (I mean, $50 for a kit AND I have to sew it!!?!). Then I decided I was going to try it anyway. Then I realized I didn't like any of the patterns all that much. Then I had my reduction surgery and figured I'd just live in bralettes. Here's the thing about reductions (without any other reconstruction or implants) - you have less tissue but essentially, the same boobs! So the bra that has the right underwire and fits in the band doesn't fit well in the cups (so-called sister sizing has never worked for me. I cannot trade off band/cup size). A 36C is a little too snug around the body (I've started using an extender adding just 1 set of "loops") and the wire digs. But a 38C is too big period. A 38B definitely has wires that are too small, and on and on. And I have shallow breasts that are fuller on bottom (demi or balconette works best). So I have to do some research. And I have lots of supplies that were scored for cheap (Surge Fabrics!!) so I won't feel so bad about the experimental phase. 
  • Still aiming to sew some of the silk stash. No specific projects right now, Just get at least 2 pieces sewn this year. 
  • At least 1 machine knit garment per quarter. I am an adventurer and I like learning new things. But whew! Machine knitting has a steep learning curve when you start talking about actual garments. I am very excited though and a commitment to just do it will help. 
I had dropped a stitch on my sweater's neckline and didn't know how to fix it. (thank you Renee! I got it done!). Then I excitedly sewed up the last raglan seam and started seaming the side seams. And in my infinite wisdom (or impatience), I went to do my usual trying on and holding sides and contorting and...OMG I CAN'T GET IT OVER MY HEAD! Doh!
But the beginner machine knitting group and others on IG reminded me that I can do a cut and sew neckline and salvage it. YAY! This method is often used when you don't want to bother with neckline shaping (it's tedious and prone to error!). So I'm going to give it a shot because, what's the worst that can happen!? I'll be unable to not wear it more? Hahahahaha!

machineknittingetc.com (nayy) has lots of old knitting magazines free to download. Okay, there's some kookie 80s stuff but so many of these silhouettes are a) still awesome or b) back in style. Here are a few that I got excited about. 

So my commitment isn't to any specific item aside from the fact that it has to be a fully completed garment (not a scarf or hat or blanket). 

  • Okay, so maybe it's odd that I'm adding travel bags when...Covid...but it's something I've wanted for *ever* and, why not? It's not like they'll go bad while they're sitting in my suitcase waiting to be used. I want to sew a laundry bag, a jewelry bag/pouch, and 5 shoe bags (2 for flats/sandals, 2 for heels/bulkier shoes, 1 for sneakers). Yeah, I know, but I often take 3-5 pair of shoes on ANY trip. It's a thing. I haven't decided if I'm going to go super basic or what. I may also find an awesome print - or - a plain cotton and decorate the bags with the Cricut. We'll see!!
example from West Elm 
  • A blazer for my husband. I was going to bite the bullet and pay $69 for the velvet needle board from Mood then *poof*, it was gone, and says it isn't reordable. WAH! The fabric for his blazer is a mid-wale corduroy in a nice, cool blue. I'm excited, I think I'm just nervous it won't turn out. 
  • I also want to sew jeans for him! He already has a tough time buying them, and then the current style is usually for a slimmer fit than he'd like. 
  • A quilt for Bert. I did knit a blanket for him and they use it all the time <3 but I want to make him his very own, special blankie. Maybe add some texture. If they didn't live in a tiny LA apartment, I'd be sewing up a storm for him!!!
Other, general sewing goals include:
  • MORE Burda! I sewed 19 or 20 Burda garments last year and yes, most were from prior years (only 4 were from 2020 issues and 1 from 2021-- I've already sewn 2 patterns from the January 2021 issue y'all!), I have so many patterns marked off as wanting to sew and they work well in general (I do need to figure out the sleeve fit for me on woven garments). 
  • Continue to limit pattern purchases (which goes hand in hand with the above). I had a goal of $50 on patterns for 2020 and spent just under $55 and purchased 25 patterns. 
  • Continue to focus on sewing from stash. 70% of my garments made in 2020 were from stash fabrics. That's pretty good! But I still purchased a lot. I want to get that ratio to 50% or better of in vs. out.
  • Complete the machine knitting classes I've purchased (knitleader, sock knitting, using the garter bar,  and intarsia). 
Personal, life goals include: 
  • Practice stress reduction
I'm a homebody and have felt fairly fine throughout quarantine. On advice of my therapist, I need to go outside daily--even if it's just for a 3-minute walk. I also need to practice mindfulness and am implementing some routines to help with that. I'm on day 3 of yoga practice and have a nighttime (attempt!) meditation routine (my brain never shuts up!).
  • Clean up my diet for relief from inflammation/pain. I swear to goodness, my body said, "40? are we 40?!?! We're 40 now?!!!!! TIME TO GO HAYWIRE!!!!!" Haha! I did an elimination diet for a couple weeks and WOW, I felt so much better with no dairy and very little gluten. So, I suppose this is what responsible adults do, or whatever. :-p
  • Read more. In 2019 I surpassed my reading goal and forgot to track for 2020. I went to the bookstore (IN REAL LIFE!) and they were having a sale so I have lots of new reads. I'm going to aim for 24 this year. 
I hope that this year is ALL that you wish for and MORE! 

Next up on my sewing table is this topper from (dun-da-dah!) Burda 1/2021. I'm making one for my daughter and for me! This should be fun!!