Pages

Friday, January 1, 2021

2020 Wrap-Up

I won't wax philosophical on the dumpster fire that is 2020. And true to form, the final day of the year turned out to be a bear. Sigh.

Onward.

  • This year, I sewed a total of 132.5 yards and purchased 105.5 yards. Geez! Those yards add up quickly! 
  • Of that 132.5 yards sewn, 93.75 (70.7%) was sewn from stash (older than 6 months). YAY! Now, my in/out ratio isn't great, but I did sew more than I purchased so, WIN.
  • This year, I sewed a total of 84 items and 54 (64%) were sewn from stashed fabrics. 

Of the 84 garments sewn, I had:

  • 10 wadders/UFOs (I don't have any requirements for myself that I sew up my UFOs. Some things are identified as wadders and discarded easily. Others, I'm unsure about and they may become wearable, but I don't revisit old projects often, it just isn't critical to me. Just keep sewing!) 
  • Aside from 1 garment, all of my wadders were due to fabric. The 10th was a Burda dress that was a combo: the fabric wasn't right for the pattern but something was really off for me with the raglan sleeve fit.
  • 10 garments for my daughter She found out she was expecting late January so it was mostly Jalie Clara knit pants and some tops for nursing. I also made her baby shower outfit <3
  • 5 baby items

That leaves 59 items for meeeeeee!

  • 29 tops (always my largest category, LOL!)
  • 15 dresses (REALLY!?)
  • 5 loungewear items
  • 3 skirts
  • 2 pants
  • 2 shorts
  • 1 jumpsuit
  • 1 cardigan
  • 1 jacket

Photo break!

Burda 11/2018 * McCall's 6796 * Ottobre baby sweater * McCall's 6886 * McCall's 7976 *
Butterick 5760 (skirt) * New Look 6150 * Simplicity 2245 * Simplicity 2246

True Bias Ogden hack * Ottobre baby gear! * McCall's 6886 * Burda 3/2011 * Burda 11/2019 * 
More Ottobre baby gear! (5 babies were born in our family this year) * twist front of McCall's 7975

Of the 84 garments sewn (which includes the wadders and garments made for others (I didn't separate out)

  • I sewed about a 60/40 split of knits and wovens 
    • Primary woven fabrics were rayon challis, cotton sateen, cotton twill
    • Primary knit fabrics were jersey (rayon, poly blends, cotton, wool)
  • I sewed from 11 pattern companies. As you can see, only 3 "Indies". I'm just not into the vast majority that I see, and often times I try and it's a pattern fail, so I stick to Burda and Big4. And yes, Jalie is an Indie! 
    • 1 Burda envelope
    • 1 Jalie
    • 1 Kommatia (now Studio Calicot)
    • 1 True Bias
    • 3 Vogue
    • 4 New Look
    • 5 Ottobre
    • 6 Butterick
    • 14 Simplicity
    • 19 McCall's
    • 19 Burda Magazine

Y'all know how I feel about my Burdas! 5 of the 12 "wins" in my last post were from Burda. I got my January 2021 issue and already have a completed garment from it (and 2 more traced). Ahhhhh. 

I promise, if you're on the fence, go for it. It isn't so onerous once you've done it a couple times. 

This top is done now but at this point, it was awaiting side seams, neckline finishing, hemming...but the shape is SO perfect and the sweater knit is *chef's kiss* with this pattern! 


And lastly, I never reviewed my dress from Vogue 1674 that I made it to wear to an engagement party. I had one in progress, things went bad, I tossed it but recovered...but not in time for the party. I ended up wearing a RTW dress. 

I swiped these from my IG stories archive

2/13 8:28 p.m.: Excitement! This is going to be so cute!!!
2/15 9:36 a.m.: After I'd gone round and round with following the instructions for the lining
2/15 10:56 a.m.: After I'd literally ripped it apart and threw it in the trash 
2/15 4:53 p.m.: Ahhhhh. But it still needed sleeves and a hem and we had to leave at 6 p.m. 

The saga! :-p

I still never got styled pics because, Covid. But I can't wait to have a reason to wear it! It's a great party dress!

Happy New Year to all!