Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

COLOR! McCalls 6996 and Vogue 1501

Not until I posted the Burda dress did I realize I've been sewing up a storm. I have so much free time on my hands now -- 4 days a week my 17 year old works until 9:30 -- that I've been barely sewing on my weekends and still cranking stuff out. That's how the denim dress came to be; it was supposed to be a slow project after I'd finished up these 2 items! Sigh. LOL!

The yellow crepe. It's BRIGHT. It's soft and spongey but still lightweight...and I was excited to sew up my new fave, V1501, using it.
I kind of love how it looks like culottes because of the front pleat.

Using an exposed zipper is the only change I made from the last time.


I got it all finished (well, mostly...taking these pics, I realized I didn't stitch the facing to the zipper tape!) and tried it on, loved it, spun around...ERRR. I could see clear through the back! The front pleats conceal the lack of opacity but in the back, my entire life was on display!


See how clearly you can see my blue top?

So in these photos I am wearing my RTW slip in "nude" (totally not *MY* nude...:sideeye:). But I don't want to have to wear a slip with a summer skirt :( I could line it I suppose...But still, same issue! Wah, wah, wah. Woe is me.

We shall see.


Because I am obviously hooked on color right now, I decided I needed a bright cardigan and know that M6996 is a winner for me. Dare I say, as a cardigan, I like it more than 6844! I think this pattern works amazingly well with jersey knits/lightweight sweater knits and 6844 with ponte/heavier knits, making it more jacket-like.

Yes, I am wearing a random assortment of colors...but I am often minding my business and then think, "It's Daylight! I should take photos of *that thing* now!"

I used view A, the shorter length, with peplum in back.


I got this 1.5 yard cut in a Fabric Mart bundle. I cut it very close on yardage. Whew. I've made this a few times before, and on this one I ended up sewing ease stitching on the collar seam line, leaving both ends open. After I gathered it, I went back and sewed the remainder of the seam in each direction. This is the cleanest this detail has ever turned out for me!


I also added an extra 1" to the bicep. No other changes though from previous versions (size Medium, narrow shoulder adjustment). The narrow hemming isn't the most fun thing ever, but I love the fit of this cardigan so much, I just suck it up and do it.


Lastly, I got both of these finished, went to hang them up, and noticed a stain on the back of the skirt and a stain on the front of the cardigan!

SERIOUSLY!?

I treated both and put a load in the washer, including them. The stain on the cardigan came out (it came to me stained, like something (some sort of beverage??) spilled on it). The stain on the skirt did not come out but did fade a little. It is on the wrong side and is a faint purple. I can only see it when I'm looking at it up close.

Next time: 2 fails. Yes, I knew it was coming; I've been too ecstatic lately with my makes :-p

Also, at the time of writing this draft, I mentioned moving on to sewing a few pairs of pajama bottoms (PJ = Loungewear for me). But 1) There are new Simplicity patterns and I want like ev.ery.thing! in this pattern:



2) I have more tops I want to sew! :-P



Obviously the first two are more 'play': NL 6507 and S8385. The last two can be work or play! M6752 and S8337.

We shall see!

25 comments:

  1. Love the bright colors, both of them. These are serious wins. Sorry about the fails. I just had one and I am trying to jump back on the horse so to speak and move on with my plans. Thanks for the posts. They keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yep, when the fails happen I just find something that is more of a guaranteed win :)

      Delete
  2. Love that yellow skirt--it just pops with 'spring/summer-ness' M6996 is a great pattern and from what I've heard, it's a fairly easy sew. Love the coral you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hair also appears to be growing like water! I love love love the yellow skirt. It looks incredibly fresh with the navy top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love it with the navy!

      And that's my superbly invested $20 half-wig. I love that thing. I didn't know they were awesome, but they are! Bad hair day no more!

      Delete
  4. You look so great in bright colors! I love the blue dress you made last post too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bright colors; so perfect for summer. You look gorgeous with this hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg. Vogue 1501 in yellow is super!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bright colors are great on you, especially that yellow! I actually thought that your V1501 was culottes at first, so you are right about that. Your "my entire life was on display" comment made me LOL--I might need to use that one myself. ;-)

    (And YES on the new Simplicity patterns--I was really impressed with this release and added many of them to my list!)

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      OMG I was SO glad I didn't get too excited about the skirt and wear it right away! Eek! LOL!

      They did well this time, IMO. I just wish their website resembled something like a sewing pattern website. You can just tell the parent company has No. Clue.

      You can sort their patterns by Price (err, they are all mostly the same price)...by Name (WHAT?!), you can either drill down into pattern brand -OR- by category...it's a mess.

      Delete
  8. Why don't they label "nude" lingerie, light, medium and dark skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of newer companies or existing companies expanding the range. These are typically high end brands though (think Nordstroms vs Target). I could write a BOOK on the ways in which women of color are completely ignored in the fashion and beauty industries.

      Delete
  9. COLOR looks amazing on you!! The yellow crepe V1501 looks high end! Great job on both. They are nice summer pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh I love both pieces. I love the bright happy yellow skirt and the cardigan is in a gorgeous color as well. Two fabulous summer pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I like the peplum version of this one better than M6884, I'm wearing it today and I'm not sold on how low on dips on the back side! Love the colour ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much softer; less peplum-y :) And also jersey vs a beefier knit makes it fall better.

      The 6884 is more dramatic which is nice sometimes!

      Delete
  12. These are both great! I'm always too hot to wear cardigans, even though I always think they help pull an outfit together and that I should get over it and wear one. Bummer about the see-through-ness of the skirt, but you know it could be a great cheerful skirt during the slag of winter.

    Also, not sure what you've done different with your hair, but it looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both these pieces! Just loving the colours. And your hair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colours so much! They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated! I will always respond to questions and try to respond to each and every comment!

I have been getting a lot more spam comments so I am turning on CAPTCHA for now.