Pages

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Burda Challenge: 08/2017 #107

Red is hard to photograph
The sun goes down at like noon
The trail wasn't actually the best place for photos because there was lots of glaring sun


I FINISHED IT!!!! I was tired of wrangling fabric and sweating over the ironing board...and then I got the one side completely done, did the belt, and this propelled me forward.

(excuse my messy room)

I was so fixated on the red version from the mag but in the end, the other version is my jam! 



My fabric is a deep red-orange color, not a true red. I love, love, love it! I picked up just over 3 yards of this wool fleece from SR Harris for $10/yard. It is VERY thick, warm, and snuggly...but a mess to cut and wrangle around on the machine.

I used my normal Burda sizing; a size 40 neckline/shoulder and the rest is a 42. I went with the shorter length. You may have noticed the the red version is knee-length on the model but the shorter version is knee length on me! There is a 4" difference between the two; the shorter one has a 37.5" back length and the longer is 41.5".

Often times I don't add hem allowance to Burda patterns. I added a 1 1/4" allowance here - I really like the finished length! I did not add hem allowance to the sleeve.

Sewing the inset corners was tough the first time and the second half was infinitely easier!

I posted the photo on the left on Facebook as I was so proud!

I ordered a spool of Gutermann Mara 100 from Wawak and it was the perfect color - just a bit darker than the fabric. 

I used a size 14 stretch needle  and wound 3 bobbins to prep. I did all of my topstitching with the thread doubled. I finished the topstitching on the sleeve, noticed my bobbin thread was out. There was a 2" piece of thread left! Whew!! 


I'd added a 5/8" allowance but ended up sewing the back with 3/8" so that when I topstitched, there wouldn't be much excess. I serged almost all of the edges prior to sewing because of the thickness of the fabric.


I got the second side ready to topstitch and kept turning and turning...I'd twisted the front pattern piece. I had to under the side seam and when I redid it with the side panel already in place, I couldn't finish it cleanly. Boooo.

As mentioned, I really prefer it without the belt...
Can you see my belt carriers on the side??


I also do not like the scarf I made WITH the coat:


I love the scarf and will wear it...but it feels too...rustic?? with the style of the coat. This Robert Kaufmann flannel is VERY nice though! 

I figure this way, I can choose to use the belt when I need to wear it closed.

(I promise the top is even!)

I think my fabric is just a bit bulky for the belt. I feel like I need to arrange it when I cinch it in so that it doesn't look messy.

Love the sleeve length!

It's so me. I'm excited to add this to my (expansive!) outerwear collection.




28 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you chose such a cheery bright color for your coat. It looks nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coat is beautiful and will be so cheerful for those dreary winter days. Though unlike you I really like the scarf with the coat but you have to wear it! Another great make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful coat! I remember when you bought that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the color and the shape of the coat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! What a beautiful coat, and you look lovely in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that color, it looks great on you! I, also, prefer it without the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! What a great colour as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it (i really want a red coat in my life!) Well done! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this coat on you! had my eye on that pattern since it was out, it's nice to see it made and it truly is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! What a happy color...it looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome coat! The color will be so cheerful on cold dreary days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a BEAUTIFUL coat!!! FIESTA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic job! Those inset corners look awesome! Thanks for sharing the thread type that you used. I will have to try that out. Really love this design on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know why I feel like the style of this coat REALLY fits your bob lol You look really great! Stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a GREAT job ! BEAUTIFUL !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute, love the interesting seaming. great color for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous coat in a fabulous colour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way your coat turned out! The color is beautiful on you, and will brighten up any outfit! The seaming is also lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is really a gorgeous coat and you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is stunning! I love the colour, and the pattern is very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This coat is beautiful. I love the vibrant color. It looks great both ways: with the tie belt and without. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this and that colour looks amazing on you! The coat does have quite minimal modern lines so I get what you mean about the scarf for the coat styling here, although with jeans and boots maybe has quite a different look?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love everything about this and especially the colour. I wonder if you used a dark brown or black or navy leather belt it might look neater round the middle. Super work, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I love how happy you look wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very pretty coat and a great color on you! Another fabulous garment!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty! The color is amazing, it looks so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so pretty. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated! I will always respond to questions and try to respond to each and every comment!

I have been getting a lot more spam comments so I am turning on CAPTCHA for now.