Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Burda 1/2018 #119

I love this pattern. I was uncertain for a moment because of the hi-low hem and pleated sleeves. Now, I'm not a hi-low hem hater (sorry y'all!)...I think they're fine at times...But I was worried about the bulk of the sleeve especially with this heavyweight knit.

It *is* bulky in this fabric but I don't mind it.

One thing I like about Burda is that, in terms of fit, often what you see is what you get. A baggy, slouchy garment fits as such and when Burda shows you tight-fitting or low-cut, get ready! :)

I went with a straight size 40 (vs grading to a 42) and added 3/8" seam allowances. If you make this and plan to bind the lower edge, you do not need to add any allowances to the hem. Now, one thing I did not realize is that the zipper length given is for the largest size. I had a pale grey zipper but it was 24" and therefore too long. As mentioned on Instagram when I was working on this - *I* cannot shorten metal zippers. I do not possess the hand strength to do so. Luckily, I had this 22" zipper in stash also.

I briefly toyed with the idea of not binding the pockets but I'm glad I did! I think it looks really good! Another suggestion for you -- extend that pocket about an inch or so out. I feel like I can just barely fit my hands in there. I used Wonder Tape to hold the pockets in place while topstitching with the coverstitch. Worked perfectly. I do need to go back and bartack the ends. Also, I'd lengthen the sleeve an inch if I made this again.




I know(!) I had a grey athletic knit in the stash but couldn't find it. I used a white mesh knit for the hood lining and used eyelets for the drawstring opening. I'd already topstitched the channel for the drawstring (used cotton twill tape from SR Harris) not realizing I was supposed to do that last, resulting in a clean finish on the neckline. Oops!


This fabric washed, cut, sewed and pressed like a dream! (This was another Fashion Fabrics Club find.) I did most of the construction on the sewing machine. I serged pattern pieces prior to sewing them together because of the thickness of the fabric.

I know the length of the sleeve looks fine but while wearing it it feels like it needs to be longer!
You can also see a little bust pulling but, casual garment, will probably rarely be zipped, not worth going up a size and having an overall baggy fit.

I was honest-to-goodness sneaking and wearing this because I knewwwwwww! My daughter came home one night and gasped and asked me to make her one PLEASE :) It's easy...I'll do it. She didn't even want the binding, saying that was "too fancy" so she'll have a mustard-colored hoodie coming up soon.

Oh, another important note...this big headed-lady fits the hood just fine! :-)

33 comments:

paulastrid32 said...

Love this on you! The high low fits this garment perfectly and I understand what you mean about the pocket after looking at the line drawing and then the garment on you. Very nice hoodie!

Doctor T Designs said...

Ah, it’s so cute! A sweatshirt, but a stylish one. It looks super cozy too, which sounds awesome with the wind howling so crazy outside right now.

L said...

I love this so much! The binding isn't too fancy either. =)

BlackGirlsGlamping said...

Soooo cute! I have to sneak and sew EVERYTHING because of the 6 year old fashionista I live with too! Lol

Catherine said...

I'm not a big fan of hi-low hems either, but this one looks great! The whole hoodie looks wonderful. No wonder daughter wants one too.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Cute hoodie and it works so well with your new leisure wardrobe.

Graca said...

Did you shorten the length? I'm not a huge fan of the hi-low hem on tops because it draws attention to a part of my short body that I rather not but this curved hi-low hem is cute. And the lined hood with the drawstring opening, goes to show that your sewing is perfect.

Robin said...

I love it too! It's not a teenagery type hoodie. And I love the hi-low look.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

very cute. and the hem design makes it interesting. Also - I order from Fashion Fabrics Club and most of the time the fabric is good, no problems, occasionally a stinker but also once in a while something fantastic.

Ann Brodsky said...

That is the cutest hoodie ever! Love all of the details. And I think I've got that same fabric!!!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

I didn't shorten it! I really like the curved hem!!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks T! I am SO over winter now!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Paula! Yeah...just a smidge too small.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!! Crazy 19 year olds :)

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! Hahaha!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Catherine!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!!

Faye Lewis said...

I really like the hi-lo effect, you did a great job on this.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Robin! Agreed. I think that's what drew me to it.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Beth! I agree. I think they're more hit than miss and this order was my first ever customer service issue with them. They still have me as a customer! The prices are generally fantastic.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! This fabric is luscious!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you Faye!

Vanessa said...

This is such a great hoodie! I see why your daughter wanted one!

Elizabeth said...

Very cute details on your hoodie, and you are slowly luring me into the fashion fabrics web...aahhhh. I had a bad experience some years back and I *might* be persuaded to try them again!

cathy said...

I've been waiting for your review as I have this hoodie on my sewing list. Thanks for the tip on the pocket size.

Unknown said...

A good hoodie will always get worn! Kudos!

Irene said...

Look amazing. Judging by the pictures - you must think so too.

Teresa said...

I love this & you did a great job sewing this up. Thanks also for featuring your at-home casual wear makes - seems like alot of reviews are of clothing I would never have the opportunity to wear - but since i'm retired I'm all about the comfort! Keep the reviews coming!

Lisa said...

Soooo cute!!! I've got this in the queue and was waiting to see what your thoughts were before proceeding. Love this so much! A sweatshirt with style!! :)

Monica D said...

Cute & Sassy ... FIESTA ;)

The Sewing CPA said...

Very cute! The fabric is beautiful. It looks really great on you.

AllisonC said...

Looks fantastic - very RTW (& I mean that as a compliment!) with all the finishing details. I personally love a hi-lo hem on a top to give me a bit more butt coverage!

coco said...

This is darling! I just taped mine together, took measurements, etc. And went looking for reviews. Thks for the tips!!