Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Helloooooo 2022!

The past 20+ months have been weird, in so many ways. On the sewing front, I hit this weird snag where I just didn't feel confident starting more complex projects. I really didn't understand it either! I would look at things I wanted to make and decide I just wasn't able. I've done the same thing with machine knitting and it's SO unlike me, it's been so hard! 

Sewing Goals

I have somehow gotten over that slump and am ready to dig in. I decided that this year, I am going to sew some wish list items:

Trench coat - Let's be honest, I will likely use a Burda pattern, but I also really like this new M8246 though I don't like the buttons in the vent...but that length is too long anyway, so I would shorten it to just above that vent opening. I am also a bit concerned about the volume in the sleeves. But otherwise, I think the details are so modern (it looks like it has inseam pockets and that would be a NO). 

The Burda 11/2012 (on the right) is a little outdated with the lapel size and shape and I don't like the pointed storm flaps. The vintage S8975 has really great details but if I'm not mistaken, I found that in a size 14 and would have to do some grading. 

I'm not willing to entertain Indie patterns for a coat aside from Style Arc (their current patterns aren't quite classic-trench style), Silhouette Patterns (it's beautiful but the lapel is a tiny bit on the large side). 

This is not a diss against anyone's trench made from any other Indie pattern.  

Burda blazer 2/2020

I have accepted that I love jackets and cardigans and blazers and I am not going to hold back any more! I'm embracing my love for toppers and will make/buy the jackets and toppers that I want. So, there! 

I also have plans to finish my WIP Burda 6/2019 moto style boucle jacket, soon. And my jacket wishlist is always long (Burda 1/2021, 1/2019, 12/2017, V1710, V8910, GAH!)

I did find two AMAZING deals on Poshmark recently. For a total of $48, I scored both of these Talbots jackets. The Glen plaid is unlined and is a size 14. I have another Talbots blazer in a 14 and it's nice to be able to actually wear sleeves underneath, which is not an option for most of my RTW blazers! It's a boxier style and the fabric is quite heavy. 

The other plaid jacket is new and was less than $17 with shipping so I couldn't pass it up even though it's a size 12. While it grazes the body nicely, you can probably see that the sleeve is snug. So I will only be able to wear this one with sleeveless tops. 

excuse my headless, dirty mirror COVID pics

Formal black dress - No patterns in mind yet. I attended 2 funerals this year and had to scramble both times to find something to wear and that happened to me last year too. There's no good reason for that now, is it? It will be solid black, no print (even tonal print), likely a higher neckline (I do love a boatneck), with sleeves and a straight skirt. 

Little black dress or jumpsuit - I made the Style Arc Mimi G Maya dress a few years back but I don't think I can fit it at the moment. One of my new VikiSews patterns (Iliana and Leora) may be a good fit here!

Corduroy blazer for my husband using Vogue 8890


I. Scored. A. NEEDLE BOARD!!!! Finally! I was typing this and listed the blazer as a goal, and I randomly went to search eBay. I found a new Dritz board for like $70 and hit 'buy' faster than you could imagine. 

So that's 5 specific sewing goals for 2022. I'm not making any goals around stashing - fabric or patterns, or even using up stash. Perhaps I'll reexamine that later in the year, but for now, it's just not important to me.

I also want to give energy to those projects that I just really WANT. And I don't have to justify if I need it or not. I want to find my creative freedom in the sewing room again. 

Machine Knitting Goals

I decided I have to just dive in here, as well. A sewing friend started machine knitting mid November and has cranked out a couple of sweater projects and really got me inspired. Getting my sewing mojo back too led me to a Just Do It! moment. I am looking forward to learning, experimenting, and developing my skills around this hobby. 

I do have some specific goals:

Make matching sweaters for the grandsons

Make St. John copycat pants (the woman I bought my machine from is sort of renowned in the MK world and worked as a knitwear designer for major brands, for many years. She's since retired but sold me her pant pattern that's used to create the $600-800 St. John pants!)

Complete 5 types of garments for myself:

  • A raglan sweater or cardigan
  • A sweater or cardigan with set-in sleeves
  • A dolman sweater with some type of stitch pattern (garter, fair isle, lace, something!)
  • Socks
  • A wrap or poncho

I think these garments each represent a set of skills and I think completed full garments, will help boost my confidence, even if they aren't perfect (ha!) or even wearable.

Personal Goals

In my personal life, I have two primary goals:

  • Begin graduate school
  • Read at least 3 books per month

Best wishes to you all, for a happy, productive 2022!