Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A TNT (or so I thought) Fail: New Look 6301

It happens. Blergh.

This is my 4th version of this pattern. I wear 2 of the 3 all.the.time!! The 3rd is from a ponte and I made it sleeveless and rarely ever wear it. It's a poly ponte so it's fairly warm - too warm for summer. But it's sleeveless so when wearing it in fall/winter I need a cardigan or jacket over it.


ANYWAY!! I've wanted *this* version of this dress for ages (remember FLOTUS in her gorgeous DVF color-blocked wrap dress??) I knew my fabric colors were more muted but I still liked the idea of them together.

And while cutting out I forgot my intention to make the neck binding wider...but even so, the bodice fit is weird! I don't feel like the bodice fits weird on the other versions but perhaps I just can't tell because the others are all prints.

actually...
I used this pattern to try to copy this Modcloth sweater and it fit weirdly.


When I took these pics it was 90+ degrees and SUPER humid. I was rushing and never really went back to them until I wore the dress.


Probably a more true representation of the colors...even though the pic is poor quality
(it was 90+ and humid outside!!!!) :)

It fits weirdly!!! It was uncomfortable to wear; I was tugging and pulling and adjusting all day. No deal. The bodice is too long and is weirdly saggy in some places. I thought it may be the fabric? The bodice is Telio Leggero ponte (very lightweight ponte) but so is the binding/ties and they seem stable/pretty nice. The skirt is a more mid-weight rayon/poly/lycra blend ponte. (all fabrics from Fabric.com) I really like the color combo though and am going to use the leftover fabric to create a dress. Eventually. From some other pattern.

Maybe I'll work out the issues on NL6301 soon...right now it doesn't seem so TNT. Bleh!

I tried to layout my new sewing room before moving because I wanted this huge desk in there because it's so sturdy and I knew it would hold all of my machines and there'd be no vibrations or shaking or anything. Well this 3' x 6' table is WAY too big for the space. Way. Way. Way. And now how in the heck is going to get out? Where is it going to go? Wahhhhhhh.

I know many swear by IKEA Linnmon table top combos and I've been sewing on a Linnmon/Adlis combo and using a pine desk for my serger and coverstitch. Neither have been ideal. I also know many report greater stability with the Linnmon/Alex combo but I don't want to spend ~$200 on a new set up right now (I'd need some combo of 2 table tops).

So for now I feel stuck with the giant table. I know I won't really know how/if the set up works until I actually get in there and sew but I was kind of disappointed that it did not work as planned. Wah.

This will be the only thing sewn in June BUT we'll also be halfway through 2018 (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?!) so I'll be touching bases on my 2018 plans/goals/etc.

Until later!

17 comments:

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

It looks fantastic on you so that's unfortunate you don't feel comfortable. I really like the color combo. I find that some wrap dresses need a lot of adjustment that's different from the typical FBA, and then every fabric behaves differently. Hope you can figure out how to wear it because it's so cute!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It's probably just the fabric reacting differently this time. This has happened to me a time or two with my TNT patterns too. If you really don't like wearing it, donate it or recycle the fabric. Sorry about the desk and your sewing room though!

Vanessa said...

Your color combination is just beautiful! I wish it would have worked out for you, it looks so good otherwise!

The Sewing CPA said...

The colors look amazing together. Too bad it's uncomfortable but it looks like a great summer dress.

Unknown said...

Love the color combo and they are so flattering. But there is definitely something wrong with the bodice on this one. So frustrating when you have a TNT that should just work. Could the skirt be salvaged with a black waistband?

mvpierson said...

Love the color combo. I have this desk (was on sale for under $100). Has a sturdy leaf that can fold away. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Sewing-and-Craft-Table-Multiple-Finishes/15690337?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000648684&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40844502992&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-78657797552&wl5=9004041&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=15690337&wl13=&veh=sem

MadebyLaQuana said...

That is very weird that it doesn’t fit like you’d like it, I love the color block, looks great on. It’s very interesting but no one likes to tug on their clothes! I feel like I always change my mind about sewing tables, I’m sure you’ll move things a round a few times before you settle on what’s comfortable. I made something and it was a flop and I’ve made it before, I feel like every few garments, I make a dud🤷🏽‍♀️.

Nancy said...

I love your striking color combination. I have not sewn for a while but it looks to me like it needs to be pulled up a little on your right shoulder, to get rid of the folding over at the waist. Would that be involved? I would definitely work with it or take it to a tailor if you cannot bear to mess with it anymore. It was a color combo that looks so nice on you and seems like it would not require much tweaking to make it perfect. Good luck.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you Nancy! I would have to remove the neck band and the sleeve to take up the shoulder...and I do have a tailor that I take things to but it's just not giving me the feels that I want so I won't be doing anymore work on this. But I WILL use this color combo in another garment.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Yeah it totally happens...it's on to the next but yes, I cannot(!) be fussing with my garments all day!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks for the recommendation!!!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! I really like the combo and will be reusing it. I like the skirt but will donate the whole dress as is.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks much Vanessa!

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thank you! And YES! It happens :/ I often think I'll recycle fabric but have literally never done it and moving has made me not want to have anything around that is not actually useful!!! So I'll be adding it to the donate pile.

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

Thanks Beth! It's one of those things that is just fussy to wear and blehhhhh. I am looking for another pattern that can accommodate my color blocking :)

Masha said...

Oh, I'm so sad that it didn't work out because I think it looks so good on you. The color blocking with the black binding is just perfect!