Pages

Friday, June 8, 2018

May Wrap-up & June Plans

May was a pretty epic month, mostly due to sew-a-palooza. I sewed 14 things this month and 22.75 yards. I sewed nearly 6 of those things in one weekend! And one is still in progress...

This month I sewed:
  • New Look 6107 top - 2 yards
    • print rayon challis from Fabric Mart trip, buttons
  • True Bias Ogden top (x 2) - 2.5 yards total
    • print rayon challis from Fabric.com, black & white challis from stash remnants
  • Burda 1/2018 skirt - 2.5 yards
    • black & white floral cotton pique from Metro Textiles, zipper, bias tape
  • Vogue 9305 top - 2 yards (Gift)
    • brown designer quality linen from Fabric Mart
  • Ottobre 2/2015 top - 1 yards
    • blue-grey jersey from SR Harris
  • McCall's 7465 dress - 1.5 yards
    • Art Gallery cotton knit from Fabric.com, elastic
  • McCall's 6612 dress - 1.5 yards
    • print jersey from Fabric Mart precut
  • McCall's 6964 top - 1.25 yards
    • orange wool jersey from Fabric Mart, orange lace from The Sewing Lounge
  • Burda 7107 top - 1.5 yards
    • oatmeal rayon jersey
  • McCall's 6519 top - 1 yard
    • print rayon challis from SR Harris, self fabric bias tape (this pattern really doesn't take 1 yard...but I diy'd the bias tape so I'm rounding up!)
  • Burda 6/2018 top - 1.5 yards
    • white rayon jersey, trim
  • Butterick 6551 dress - 1.5 yards (FAIL)
    • striped cotton poplin from SR Harris
  • McCall's 7745 dress - 3 yards (WIP)
    • floral rayon challis from Fabric Mart
WHEW.

Favorite: I had such a successful sewing binge! YAY! This month there's a lot to love. I seriously cannot choose a favorite garment.

FAIL: Obviously B6551 and I have my fingers crossed that M7745 works out. I have done so much unpicking and re-stitching. Luckily it's a really robust challis!

Accomplishment: Let's go with seeing the vision for my orange knit + lace tee and making it come to life!

I have a lot going on right now (hence sew-a-palooza!). I placed two fabric orders this month; Fabric.com for a total of 10.5 yards and Fabric Mart for a total of 21 yards. And I visited SR Harris and bought 8.5 yards.

There was fabric all.over.the.place. I collected all of the fabric acquired since the sew camp (because THAT giant box was still sitting in the same place). And then I cried. I know I wasn't actually crying over the fabric -- (and I never cry. Nothing makes me cry!) but obviously with everything else it was all so overwhelming.

I sorted it out - by season then by type (knit vs woven). I went through my Expedit and fabric tubs one by one and came up with a huge pile of fabric to donate/get rid of. I stored the remaining fabric. I have temporarily unsubscribed from emails. I won't say "I'm not buying fabric until xx time"...but I am definitely taking a fabric-shopping break. This year I have purchased 197.5 yards and sewn 79 yards. I need to get that ratio back in check!

I don't have the energy to do anything that's not absolutely necessary as there's just TOO MUCH stuff on my plate. So for June, I'm not sure I'll get anything sewn. I do hope I can find the time to make a birthday dress as I've done for the past few years. And hopefully I can finish M7745. I am not 100% sold on it but I love the style of the dress and I love the fabric so we'll see.



bodice and skirt are not attached here
 
I am not looking forward to hemming and gathering the ruffle for the skirt
 

If nothing else, I have a couple items that still need to be reviewed and have posts scheduled for those.

I did finish out MMM...IDK what happened to the 31st. I am completely blank on that day.
May 22-26:
Ottobre top
Ogden cami, M6996 cardigan, Lekala skirt
M6964 tee
M6886 dress
Burda 6/2018 tee (to be reviewed)
 
And then life got the better of me...Positive thoughts appreciated!
 
How I spent the 27th...

I'm fairly certain I had on my I <3 Bacon shorts or S8424 leggings :)
 
May 28-30:
S8424 leggings
M6519 top (to be reviewed) and B5760 skirt
NL6107 top (to be reviewed)
 
The most productive crafting I've done in the past week:


I use a lot of Trader Joes spices and these glass jars have come in handy in many ways.
I make my own seasoning blends and these are the 4 I use most often so I got the bright idea to use my Cricut to label them.
 
(I am an affiliate and purchases made through the links/banners on my page will result in a small commission for me)

I'll keep an eye out for any questions but probably won't be responding to comments, as always, they are appreciated.
 


12 comments:

Linda Evans said...

Relax and take a break. Get back to it when you feel like it. It's supposed to be fun, right?

Lisa said...

Sending positive vibes your way. Can't wait to see your finished dress, that pattern is on my list to make for summer.

Vanessa said...

What a wonderful month of May!! I love the dress you are working on now, and look forward to seeing it finished. I understand about needing a break. Enjoy the time you need to recoup, and I hope to see you back when you are ready.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I think you should go easy on yourself regarding fabric in. You had a big East Coast trip with fabric shopping in the NYC Garment District and Fabric Mart's brick 'n mortar store. It's not like you were sitting at home loading the cart on an online site...you were making memories and having a good time. Also you will sew it up. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Nursebennett said...

I’m sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed. Hugs to you.

Robyn said...

Sending positive vibes your way. Do what you need to do to until you're ready to create again. Take care.

L said...

The orange & lace tee is totes my favorite. Everything about it is perfection.

I feel you on hemming long circular edges; it's right up there with stretch cotton poplin in evilness. A rolled hem or flexi-lace hem on 7745 could be an alternative. =)

Tracy May Brown: Miss Brown, To You! said...

Sew with your heart, not against the clock, and put the sew back into soul. Hope you feel better very soon.

runlexlou said...

I love checking your website to see all the fantastic things you make. Sending positive vibes your way. Take care of yourself!

The Sewing CPA said...

Even though you buy a lot of fabric, you really do use up a lot of it since you're so productive. I love seeing everything you make. It can certainly be overwhelming and at the end of the day it's important to remember that there's no rush. It's okay to take it easy and give yourself a break. I can't wait to see the finished dress.

Carol Wangui said...

SO MUCH DONE!!! I am jealous, lol, but excited that you get to share all these makes. I have a question, how do you donate your unwanted fabric piles? Are you open to giveaways of plain old just sending to whoever asks first (wink, wink). LOL, asking for a friend.

Doctor T Designs said...

79 yards is so crazy productive! Love your May makes. Hope June goes well, even if it is crazy busy!