Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

July Wrap-up and August Plans

I cannot believe how fast this year is flying by. I cannot believe how quickly this month passed! It was just my birthday! Eesh!

Well, I certainly made up for a non-sewing June. This month, I sewed 16.5 yards.

  • New Look 6507 dress - 3 yards
    • print rayon challis
    • elastic
  • Vogue 9238 dress - 2 yards
    • black and ivory Ponte, knit print
  • Butterick 6330 dress - 2 yards
    • print double brushed poly
    • elastic
  • Butterick 6330 dress - 2 yards (awaiting hemming)
    • black rayon jersey
    • elastic
  • Burda 8/2012 pants - 2 yards
    • black cotton sateen
    • zipper, elastic
  • McCall's 7780 top - 1.5 yards
    • ivory cotton/linen blend woven
    • d-rings
  • Vogue 1522 pants - 2 yards (to be reviewed)
    • navy Telio jockey ponte (this fabric is seriously amazing)
    • elastic
  • Grainline Felix dress - 2 yards (to be reviewed)
    • blue tencel chambray
Favorite: Ooh. I had a good month. Nothing was "perfect"; whatever that means. Every thing had it's niggling issues. But I am pretty happy with most everything I sewed this month. I'm going to go with the Butterick 6330 dress as it was literally exactly what I've wanted in a summer dress.

Fails: Nothing went terribly wrong this month. As you may have read in my last post, I made a lot of silly mistakes when making M7780, but the top worked out great!

Accomplishments: Nothing stands out this month...perhaps the fact every single one of these items was basted, adjusted/tweaked, before final sewing. This may sound like a no-brainer but this is NOT something I've done routinely!!

This month, I purchased 9 yards of fabric: 5.5 from Mood - sewed 2 yards this month and 3.5 from SR Harris and sewed 1.5 this month.

For the year I'm at 206.5 in and 98.5 out. I purchased 32 (yikes!) cuts of fabric when I went to NYC/PA. I've sewn 5 of them. In my defense (haha), I bought fabric for fall primarily. And quite a few shirtings for the stash. I have plans this summer/fall for 9 cuts of that fabric and the remaining 4.5 yards from this month. Fingers crossed?? :)

I purchased 4 patterns this month. I'm officially over my goal of 18 for the year (19 purchased)...and there are 4 of the new Vogue's on my list. I tried. LOL!

-The Paco pattern is similar in neckline to a Burda from 11/2017. I like them both but want a fall dress. This pattern looks like it has an extended shoulder and dropped armhole so not readily able to take a sleeve. But I'd have to look at the pattern. I want a fall dress and will not be making a dress with this zipper and amazing lines to be covered up with a jacket!

-The Badgley Mischka is so neat! I just love it.

-The Tracy Reese wasn't on my radar until someone posted the back of it - gorgeous! I can do without the chain in front and that length won't work for me, but otherwise, I really like this one. 

-Okay, this is a quirky pattern, the Kathryn Brenne, but it's cool! I think it can be a fun top in the right fabric and I'd probably skip the buttons down the back or match the color to the fabric.

Honorable mention to these, I like them but don't need them:

I like this view of Tilton's 9332

My daughter likes 9330 but I don't need to spend $5 for this pattern IMO.

I love the shape of 9329 and the lines; may end up getting it later. Maybe. 
I don't love the handkerchief hem.

This view of 9327 is SO pretty. Swoon. 

Aside from the giant flutter sleeve on view F and the circle cut-out in back (easily remedied by cutting a full back), This dress and it's sleeve options are really nice. I may get this one. We'll see.

For August, I really want to stick to my plan. Fingers crossed. Some more. LOL!!!

I have the Burda 4/2018 trench mostly traced out. I really want to get this done this month. We're already having several 60-65 degree mornings (52 degrees this morning!!) and by September, I'll likely need a light jacket in the a.m. (and then it'll be too warm by afternoon. sigh.)
Butterick 6562 for my mom (I should have done this awhile ago. oops!)

McCall's 7547 to round out my casual pant needs
 
And I hope to get the Burnside bibs sewn!! 

I'm going to plan to do my mom's top first, then the pants, then the bibs then the trench. Again, I know you're thinking, that's nothing for you! :) I am traveling one weekend and have visitors another...plus, a whole, entire trench coat?!?. 

Eek! Wish me luck (fingers crossed?? :-p )